Housing Policies | Clemson Home


Housing Policies

General Housing Policies

Alcohol Policy

The University’s policies on the possession and consumption of alcohol are the same as the municipal ordinances and state and federal laws. For students of legal drinking age, the University does not restrict the possession or consumption of alcohol in your private residence (your room or apartment) except in certain residence halls designated as alcohol-free. However, in public areas outside of your residence, you may not have an open container of an alcoholic beverage of any kind. Public areas include residence hall lobbies, utility/study rooms, hallways and areas immediately outside residence halls and apartments. Possession, consumption or display of alcohol or alcohol containers is not permitted in any area designated as alcohol-free. A number of residence halls are designated as totally alcohol-free. These include Johnstone, Benet, Young, Geer, Sanders, Byrnes, Cope, Lever, Manning and Mauldin. For detailed information concerning the consumption of alcohol in University housing, contact your Resident Director (RD) or area housing office. Also, refer to your Student Handbook.The Medical Alcohol Amnesty Policy (MAAP) is one component of the University’s comprehensive approach to reducing harmful consequences caused by excessive alcohol consumption. Anyone who receives emergency medical attention for alcohol consumption or seeks assistance for someone in an alcohol-related emergency will not be charged with violations of University alcohol-related policies. Protection under this policy is applicable only once in a two-year period for those receiving the medical assistance. A representative of an organization holding an event is required to promptly seek medical assistance in an alcohol-related emergency. No organization may receive protection under the new policy more than once a year. This new policy does not exempt students from arrest or criminal prosecution for violating alcohol- or drug-related laws. It applies only to enforcement of the University’s student conduct code.


Some areas of University housing have asbestos-containing materials present. A licensed asbestos abatement team manages these materials. Students should use caution and not disturb any sprayed-on ceiling materials. Any questions concerning the asbestos materials, locations and hazards should be referred to the Residential Facilities Office at 864-656-5450  or the Asbestos Abatement Program director at 864-643-6165 for further clarification.

Banners and Signs

Hanging banners on residence halls is a good way to announce an event or show your school spirit. But before displaying your sign, check with your RA or GCD to find out where signs may be displayed. If you put up a banner, you’re responsible for taking it down no later than 24 hours after it’s “old news.” Be sure all the tape remains are removed, as well.

Candles, Wax Warmers, Incense, Fireworks, Firearms, Inflammable and Explosives

Due to concerns for fire safety and personal safety, having or using any items that might be classified under these headings is strictly forbidden in University housing. Violations of this policy could result in suspension from the University, eviction from University housing and/or separation from the University. Grills of any kind, propane gas tanks and gas or charcoal grill supplies cannot be stored within or outside any campus residential area (including apartments).
View more information about fire safety here.


Housing has restrictions against cooking in residence hall rooms (not apartments) for the following reasons:
1) Fire safety
2) Sanitation
Anything you can prepare in a thermostatically controlled coffeepot or a hot-air popcorn popper is legal. You may also use the combination microwave/refrigerator-freezer (MicroFridge®) available for rent from Student Government. Any other type of cooking equipment must be stored and used in your residence hall kitchen, and not in your room. Violations of this policy will result in a $50 charge. Grills of any kind, propane gas tanks and gas or charcoal grill supplies cannot be stored within or outside any campus residential area (including apartments).
View more information about fire safety here.

Damages, Communal Property

Your contract explains that when hallways, bathrooms, elevators and other public areas in a residence facility receive undue abuse, we expect the assistance of the residents of that area in finding the person(s) responsible. When the person(s) cannot be identified, all residents will be required to pay a prorated share of repairing such damages.

Damages, Rooms or Apartments

As your University Housing Contract explains, you’re responsible for any damages that happen in your room or apartment while you live here. If damages are accidental, you must still pay repair costs. When damages are the result of vandalism, the person(s) responsible must not only pay for repairs, but may also face disciplinary proceedings.


All University officials, including Housing officials, will assist and cooperate with law enforcement personnel as they perform their duties in controlling the possession and use of illegal substances on campus. Students convicted of violations of state or federal laws are subject to further disciplinary action by the University.

Fire Safety

On-campus residents can help keep their homes and their neighbors safe from fire by following all Housing regulations concerning candles, fireworks, explosives, halogen lamps, the use of electrical equipment and general safety standards. Any student who willfully compromises the safety of fellow residents by tampering with fire safety equipment or sounding false alarms will be subject to criminal prosecution, eviction from University housing and/or separation from the University. Students who fail to evacuate when an alarm sounds are also subject to disciplinary action.
View more information about fire safety here.

Furniture Removal

Every piece of furniture in your room or apartment at the time you move in must stay in the room/apartment for the entire time you live there. You may not remove, store or trade furnishings.


See “Candles, Incense, Fireworks, etc.”


It is Clemson University policy to conduct and provide programs, activities and services to students, faculty and staff in an atmosphere free from racial or sexual harassment. Harassment is any behavior that would verbally or physically threaten, torment, badger, heckle or persecute an individual because of his/her race or gender. Harassment of University faculty, staff, students or visitors is prohibited and shall subject the offender to appropriate disciplinary action. Students who feel that they have been subjected to racial or sexual harassment should seek advice from the Office of Human Resources.

Housing Contract

You are required to sign a University Housing Contract each year when you reserve a room or apartment, and it’s important that you read your copy carefully. Be sure you understand that the contract is binding for an entire academic year. You can’t move off campus after first semester unless you meet very specific conditions outlined in the contract. If you’re thinking about moving off campus, talk with someone in University Housing before you make your plans.

Incident Reports

Resident/apartment assistants and resident directors are charged with the responsibility of confronting and working with students who break University or Housing policies. Such violations are documented through incident reports, which are completed and submitted by RAs and RDs. Once a student violates a policy and an incident report is completed, a Housing administrator decides how the infraction is to be handled. Violations of policy may be dealt with administratively or through the Office of Community and Ethical Standards.

Key Policy

For information about our key policies, click here to be redirected.

Ledges, Roofs, Attics and Equipment Rooms

The University Housing Contract expressly describes these areas as “off-limits.” In the interest of your personal safety, we expect your cooperation in this matter.


Many residence hall lounges are open for use by all residents on an unlimited basis. Others, however, may be reserved for private gatherings of residents or student organizations through the appropriate area office.

Quiet Hours

The expectation of an environment that supports sleep and study takes precedence over the privilege of another to create noise. This expectation of “courtesy hours” is in place 24 hours a day; however, specific quiet hours are in effect from 10:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m. each day. The Residence Community Council may expand weekend quiet hours to start at midnight with a two-thirds vote of the area residents. Quiet hours shall be in effect in all areas 24 hours a day for a minimum of three days before the beginning of final exams until the end of exams.


See “Ledges, Roofs, Attics, etc.”

Room and Apartment Changes

To request a change of your on-campus housing assignment, please contact your community’s Graduate Community Director or Community Director.

Room Property Certificate

The Room Property Certificate is the document that each resident is required to review and sign online during the first 24 hours after moving into University housing. It’s very important that you review the room/apartment items carefully and work with your RA if you have any issues. If you don’t complete the process, at the end of the year you could be held responsible for anything wrong with your room or apartment regardless of its condition when you moved in.

Sales and Solicitation

To protect your right to privacy in your residence hall room or apartment, the University has strict guidelines on fundraisers, promotions or sales on campus. Also, if your right to privacy in your hall or apartment is ever violated by a door-to-door canvasser, please report it immediately to your RA or the RD for your area.


Members of the opposite sex are not allowed to use the shower facilities of the residence halls that are served by communal bathrooms.

Smoke-free Halls and Apartments

Smoking and other tobacco products are prohibited on the campus of Clemson University.

Window Treatments/Displays

Flame-resistant curtains may be hung using non-permanent fixtures (tension rods are permitted). Items may not be posted, displayed or attached to the window in a fashion such that they are visible through a window.
View more information about fire safety here.