FAQs | Clemson Home



Frequently Asked Questions


When will I select my housing assignment?

First-year students will be able select their housing assignment in May 2019. Incoming freshmen should check their Clemson University email on the evening of May 15 for their time slot, which will indicate the date and time they will be able to log in and select their housing assignment.

Where can I view my housing assignment?

Once you have selected your housing assignment, you may view your assignment at anytime at: https://starrez.clemson.edu/StarRezPortalX

May I request another incoming first-year student as a roommate?

Yes. You will have the option to request up to three roommates of your choice. You will create and confirm your roommate group in step one of the sign-up process, and the deadline to complete this step is 12 p.m. (ET) on May 15. Keep in mind, priority is based upon the date you applied for admission to Clemson University. Also, the confirmed roommate with the earliest admissions date will have the first opportunity to select housing on behalf of the group.

If I’m unhappy with my selected room or roommate, can I get it changed before school opens? How?

It is our goal to make everyone happy with their room and roommate assignment. Even after assignments are made, we will continue to work to accommodate your preferences. If you want us to change something about your assignment, email the housing office immediately explaining your preferences. Be sure to include your CUID#.  While we can’t guarantee the change you want, we promise we will try our best to honor your request.

Do I have to live on campus?

Yes. Housing policy stipulates that all unmarried, first-year students who are under the age of 21 at the time of enrollment who do not live with parent(s) or legal guardian(s) [within Anderson, Oconee and Pickens counties] are required to live in University-owned housing for the fall and spring semesters. Incoming first-year students who desire a residency waiver, and meet all of the specified requirements, must complete the appeals form. Transfer students are not considered first-year students. Transfer students are housed on a space availability basis.

When can I move into my room? Can I move in early?

August Move In
After you select your housing assignment in May, you will be able to select a move-in weekend appointment. Additional information will be available following room selection (step three of three).
January Move In
The date and time for January move in will be posted under important dates.

If I have concerns about my living situation, can I request a room change?

An important part of living in a residential community is learning to live with a roommate(s). We encourage residents to move in, get to know one another, and complete a roommate agreement to create shared expectations for their living space. If you have concerns about your living situation, the first step is to speak to your Resident Assistant (or House Manager for Fraternity Sorority Housing). Click here to read more about requesting a room change.

Can I be released from my housing contract and move off campus in December?

The University housing contract is a legally binding document, and it is for the academic year (Aug. – May). Students are encouraged first to contact the Assignments Office with concerns regarding their housing assignment. If the concerns are not resolved satisfactorily, the student may submit such concerns to the Appeals Committee for further review.

If I have questions once I’ve settled in, who can answer these?

All university housing facilities are staffed with Resident Assistants and a Graduate Community Director. Generally Resident Assistants are undergraduate students living on the floor with total responsibility for that area. Graduate Community Directors are graduate students also residing in the building. Additionally, each community is staffed with an Community Director. This staff member is a full-time, professional Housing employee.

How is Housing priority established?

Housing priority for all new students is based on the admissions application date to the University, and not the housing application date.

When are Housing applications due?

For priority housing, all Clemson University first-year applications are due by 12 p.m. (ET) on May 15.


Can I smoke in my residence hall room or apartment?

Clemson University  is a tobacco free campus. For more information about the University’s policy, please visit http://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/healthy-campus/tobacco-free/.

What do I do if something is wrong in the room?

If you need to report a problem, please click here to fill out a maintenance request. You can also call the Housing Maintenance office at 656-5450 to report a problem. The office is open from 8 a.m.–midnight 7 days a week. For emergency service after these hours, please contact the Resident Assistant on duty.

Can we have a pet?

Yes, FISH ONLY! And only in a 10 gallon or smaller aquarium.

Can we have a microwave, toaster oven or hot plate in our rooms?

Review the Rules and Regulations for the complete policy.


Where is card access available?

Card access is available in every residence hall, mostly on exterior doors. Also, in our apartment communities, card access is available on the exterior doors of the commons buildings.

What if I lock myself out of my room or apartment?

Every residential community has a community desk, which is staffed from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. The Resident Assistant or Desk Assistant at the community desk can help you access your room. If you lock yourself out after 7:30 p.m., you can contact the Resident Assistant on call for your community.

Can we have opposite sex overnight guests in our rooms?

Visitation hours in all campus residential areas are set by mutual agreement among roommates or suitemates at the beginning of each year or when occupancy changes. The roommate’s expectation of privacy, sleep and study take precedence over the privilege of a host to have a guest. Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests and must be present for the duration of the visit. If, at any time, the number of guests present in a room poses an issue in the community due to noise or other violations of the Student Conduct Code, staff may direct them to leave the room or apartment.

How can I get my post office box?

If you live on-campus, you will be automatically assigned a PO Box. The rental is valid for the entire academic year.

How can I find out what my Post Office Box number is? Is this associated with housing?

Your PO Box assignment will be sent via email, sometime prior to your Aug. arrival, with detailed information pertaining to your PO Box. You may call the USPS Clemson office for more information at 864-656-2351.

How do I sign up for a meal plan?

All first-year students are required to select one of the unlimited plans for the academic year. Visit Dining’s website for more information about meal plans, hours of operations, and much more.

May I bring my own refrigerator?

You can keep a refrigerator in your room if it’s no larger than 3.6 cubic feet. Or, a combination MicroFridge multipliance is also available for rent. This unit includes a microwave (the only microwave allowed in residence halls or suites), a refrigerator and a zero-degree freezer.  If you are interested in renting a MicroFridge, please contact Collegiate Concepts. All orders placed by the advertised deadline date will be delivered to your room before the main scheduled move-in date. Just go online to www.collegefridge.com or call 1-888-929-0806 for more information or to place an order.

Who do I contact about a MicroFridge?

You may visit Collegiate Concepts or call 888-929-0806 (toll free) to rent a MicroFridge.

What size are the beds?

The beds in all residential communities are extra-long twin beds and require extra-long twin bed sheets. There is one exception! The beds in the West Neighborhood of Douthit Hills are full size beds and require full size sheets.

How can I get telephone service in my room or apartment?

University Housing does not provide this type of service. If you would like telephone service in your room or apartment, you may contact the Telecommunications Office to have the service connected (at a monthly expense). For more information, you may email the Telecommunications Office. Remember to bring your own telephone. Telecommunications will service your telephone line but not your telephone.

What can’t I use to decorate my room?

We want to keep the residence halls as safe as possible, so there are some things we just can’t allow in your room:

  • Candles (not even as decoration)
  • Halogen lamps
  • Microwave ovens/cooking appliances (except MicroFridges, thermostatically controlled percolators and hot-air popcorn poppers)
  • Electrical fixtures such as ceiling fans or track lighting
  • Parachute canopies on the ceiling

We also have a few rules to help protect the room and walls from interior decorators who get carried away —

  • Posters should be hung with push pins or white sticky tack. No tape or nails can be used on the walls.

What if I need to remain on campus during a holiday break?

Sometimes it’s impossible or impractical for our students to travel home during breaks. Residence halls and apartments are open over spring and fall breaks as well as the Thanksgiving holiday. There are fewer staff members around, but security staff keep their regular schedules. Residence halls are closed between the fall and spring semesters (during the Winter Break), If you need to stay on campus during this break, you will need to complete the Winter Stay Request Form.  Please note, this form is available beginning in November each year.

Where are the ATMs located on campus?

  • Bryan Mall Circle ATM Bank: Bank of America ATM; Founders Credit Union ATM, beside Byrnes Hall
  • Hendrix Student Center: Founders Credit Union ATM located to the right of the main entrance to the Eastside Food Court
  • McCabe and Holmes: BB&T, Founders, PNC and Suntrust
  • Fernow St. Café: Non-bank affiliated ATM in main entryway
  • Union Loggia: Bank of America ATM located by the main doors
  • Calhoun Courts: Non-bank affiliated ATM on main floor of commons building
  • Lightsey Bridge: Non-bank affiliated ATM in laundry room of commons building
  • Walker Course: Non-bank affiliated ATM in the corridor between the pro shop and Walker Course Grill
  • Madren Center: Founders Credit Union
  • Douthit Hills Community Hub: Wells Fargo ATM located in bookstore lobby
  • Gressette Hall: Wells Fargo ATM located adjacent to Which Which