Appeals Process | Clemson Home


Appeals Process

Skip to main content

University Housing & Dining Contract Appeals

Dining Meal Plan Cancellations 

The Appeals Process is designed to assist residents who have not been able to resolve a request through standard procedures or to assist residents who may have serious extenuating circumstances. Please read the General Instructions as well as the specific instructions related to the type of appeal you are filing. DO NOT SIGN ANOTHER LEASE unless you have received formal written release from your University Housing Contract.

If you receive accommodated housing through the Office of Student Accessibility Services, please notify them regarding cancellations.

Submitting an Appeal

The Appeals Committee meets bi-weekly, as needed. You will receive a written reply from the committee after the appeal has been reviewed.

If you have any supporting documentation, you may submit these materials to University Housing & Dining in Mell Hall; mail to 100 Mell Hall, Box 344075, Clemson, SC 29634-4075; or email all forms to

General Instructions

Petitions must be initiated by residents. Parents or other involved persons may provide letters of support and written documentation but these items will not initiate a petition.

To submit an appeal, please complete the online form at the bottom of this page.

Furnishing false information to the Appeals Committee with the intent to deceive is in violation of the Student Code of Conduct and will result in disciplinary action and rejection of the petition.

Housing & Dining Payment – Petitioning does not defer your Housing or Dining payment. Please pay your University Housing & Dining fees by the due date to avoid late charges. If your petition is approved, adjustments to your account will be made.

Committee Decisions – You may appeal the Appeals Committee decision to the University Housing Appeals Officer ONLY IF you have additional documentation or information to provide that has not been previously reviewed. Additional written documentation must be received for additional consideration. A response will be emailed once a final decision has been rendered.

Releases from the University Housing Contract

Fraternity and Sorority Release – Per the Block Housing Agreement, the contract for student organizational block housing is binding at the time it is signed, and the student is obligated to pay University Housing fees for the period of the contract, unless he/she fails to enroll. Requests for release from the Block Housing Agreement based on financial and/or medical hardship will be reviewed by the Appeals Committee.

Financial Hardship Release – You must complete the appeals link below including the student financial statement page as well as provide additional written documentation to support the claim of financial hardship beyond your control. You must also provide proof of an alternate housing arrangement priced below the lowest available campus housing option available to you. Other documentation may be requested.

Medical Hardship Release – The University is in compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). You must register with Student Accessibility Services and provide your Faculty Accommodation Letter (FAL) with your documentation. If a vacancy exists in a campus housing space that would adequately address the physical environment requested, a medical priority transfer will be arranged. Only if the medical condition cannot be supported in on-campus housing will a release be approved.

For more information, review your housing contract for a complete list of terms and conditions. Please click here for a complete list of contracts.

Dining Meal Plan Appeals

If you have any questions or concerns, please call University Housing & Dining’s main office 864-656-2295.

If you believe your reasons for appeal fall outside of the policy, please complete an Appeal petition and the Appeals Committee will review your case.

Online Appeals Form