Bridge FAQ | Clemson Home



Frequently Asked Questions

Housing Assignment

How do I sign up (step one of three) for Housing & Dining?

»Beginning Feb. 3 at 8:30 a.m. (ET) through May 15 at 12 p.m. (ET), you may sign up for Housing & Dining. The sign-up process is a multi-step process (three parts) and additional information is available on the Housing & Dining website.

When will I select my housing assignment?

»As a Bridge to Clemson student you will be able select your housing assignment on the evening of June 4, 2020. It is important for you to check both your Clemson University and Tri-County Tech email accounts on the evening of June 3 for your time slot (room selection time slot), which will indicate the day and time you will be able to log in and select your housing assignment.

May I request another Bridge to Clemson participant as a roommate?

»Yes. You will have the option to request up to three roommates of your choice. You will create and confirm your roommate group in step one of the sign-up process, and the deadline to complete this step is 12 p.m. (ET) on May 15.

»Also, the size of your roommate group determines your sign-up priority. Groups of four receive the highest level of sign-up priority, followed by groups of three, then groups of two and finally singles. Time slots are randomly assigned to each student. The student with the earliest time slot should complete room selection for the group.

Can I request a Clemson University student as a roommate?

»No. The residential spaces reserved for the Bridge to Clemson Program cannot accommodate additional residents.

Do I have to live on campus?

»Yes. Housing policy stipulates that all unmarried, first-year students who are under the age of 21 at the time of enrollment who do not live with parent(s) [within Anderson, Oconee and Pickens counties] are required to live in University-owned housing for the fall and spring semesters. Incoming first-year students who desire a residency waiver, and meet all of the specified requirements, must complete the appeals form. If a violation of the on-campus residency requirement is discovered before the semester begins, the student’s enrollment may be jeopardized unless the Housing contract is completed and the student is assigned on-campus housing. If a violation of the policy is discovered after the start of the semester, the student will be referred to the Office of Community and Ethical Standards for failure to comply with a University policy.

Am I required to purchase a meal plan?

»Yes. All Bridge to Clemson students, who reside on-campus, are required to purchase the Block 175 + 125 meal plan for both the fall and spring semesters.

When can I move in?

»After room selection, you will be able to log in and select a move-in appointment. The Housing & Dining website provides move-in dates and times.

If I have concerns about my living situation, can I request a room change?

»An important part of living in a residential community is learning to live with roommates. We encourage residents to move in, get to know one another, and complete a roommate agreement to establish shared expectations for their living space. If you have concerns about your living situation, the first step is to speak to your Resident Assistant.

Can I be released from my housing contract and move off campus in December?

»The University Housing contract is a legally binding document, and it is for the academic year (Aug. – May).

If I have questions once I’ve settled in, who can answer these?

»All university housing facilities are staffed with Resident Assistants and a Graduate Community Director. Generally Resident Assistants are undergraduate students living on the floor with total responsibility for that area. Graduate Community Directors are graduate students also residing in the building. Additionally, each community is staffed with an Community Director. This staff member is a full-time, professional Housing employee.


May I smoke in my apartment?

»Clemson University is a tobacco free campus (read more about the University’s policy).

What do I do if something is wrong in the room?

»If you need to report a maintenance problem, complete a maintenance request. You may call the Housing & Dining Maintenance office at 864-656-5450 to report a problem. Office hours are 8 a.m.–midnight, 7 days a week. For emergency service after these hours, please contact the Resident Assistant on call.

May I have a pet?

»Yes, FISH ONLY! And only in a 10 gallon or smaller aquarium.



What if I lock myself out of my room or apartment?

»Every residential community has a community desk, which is staffed from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. The Resident Assistant or Desk Assistant at the community desk can help you access your room. If you lock yourself out after 7:30 p.m., you may contact the Resident Assistant on call for your community.

Will I be charged if I misplace my key?

»For a complete copy of our key policy, click here for more information. It is important to note, if you are assessed a fee, the charge will not be added to your Tri-County student bill. You will be billed through the Housing Portal and you will be sent an email with additional information regarding payment.

Can we have opposite sex overnight guests in our rooms?

»Visitation hours in all campus residential areas are set by mutual agreement among roommates at the beginning of each year or when occupancy changes. The roommate’s expectation of privacy, sleep and study take precedence over the privilege of a host to have a guest. Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests and must be present for the duration of the visit. If, at any time, the number of guests present in a room poses an issue in the community due to noise or other violations of the Student Conduct Code, staff may direct them to leave the room or apartment.

How can I get my post office box?

»Living on-campus, you will be automatically assigned a PO Box. The rental is valid for the entire academic year.

How can I find out what my Post Office Box number is?

»Your PO Box assignment will be sent via email, sometime prior to your Aug. arrival, with detailed information pertaining to your PO Box. You may call the USPS Clemson office for more information at 864-656-2351.

How do I sign up for a meal plan?

»You will be automatically assigned the Block 175 + 125 meal plan, and you may review the plan details when you sign up for Housing & Dining.

What size are the beds?

»The beds in Calhoun Courts, Lightsey Bridge I and Lightsey Bridge II are extra-long twin beds, and require extra-long twin bed sheets.

How can I get telephone service in my room or apartment?

»University Housing & Dining does not provide this type of service. If you would like telephone service in your room or apartment, you may contact the Telecommunications Office to have the service connected (at a monthly expense). For more information, you may email the Telecommunications Office or you may stop by their office in the Hendrix Center. Remember to bring your own telephone. Telecommunications will service your telephone line but not your telephone.

What can’t I use to decorate my room?

»We want to keep our residential communities as safe as possible, so there are some things we just can’t allow in your room:

    • Candles (not even as decoration)
    • Halogen lamps
    • Microwave ovens/cooking appliances (except MicroFridges, thermostatically controlled percolators and hot-air popcorn poppers)
    • Electrical fixtures such as ceiling fans or track lighting
    • Parachute canopies on the ceiling
    • We also have a few rules to help protect the room and walls from interior decorators who get carried away —
    • Posters should be hung with push pins or white sticky tack. No tape or nails can be used on the walls.

What if I need to remain on campus during a holiday break?

»Sometimes it’s impossible or impractical for our students to travel home during breaks. Residence halls and apartments are open over spring and fall breaks as well as the Thanksgiving holiday. There are fewer staff members around, but security staff keep their regular schedules. Information about winter break closing will be available at a later date.

Where are the ATMs located on campus?

    • Bryan Mall Circle ATM Bank: Bank of America ATM; Founders Credit Union ATM, beside Byrnes Hall
    • Hendrix Student Center: Founders Credit Union ATM located to the right of the main entrance to the Eastside Food Court
    • McCabe and Holmes: BB&T, Founders, PNC and Suntrust
    • Fernow St. Café: Non-bank affiliated ATM in main entryway
    • Union Loggia: Bank of America ATM located by the main doors
    • Calhoun Courts: Non-bank affiliated ATM on main floor of commons building
    • Lightsey Bridge: Non-bank affiliated ATM in laundry room of commons building
    • Walker Course: Non-bank affiliated ATM in the corridor between the pro shop and Walker Course Grill
    • Madren Center: Founders Credit Union
    • Douthit Hills Community Hub: Wells Fargo ATM located in bookstore lobby
    • Gressette Hall: Wells Fargo ATM located adjacent to Which Which